- Ph.D, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2007
- M.S., University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2005
- B.E., National Institute of Technology-Trichy, 2003
Dr. Devesh Ranjan is a professor in the GWW School of Mechanical Engineering at Georgia Tech since July 2014. He was previously a director's research fellow at Los Alamos National Laboratory (2008) and Morris E Foster Assistant Professor in the Mechanical Engineering department at Texas A&M University (2009-2014). He earned a bachelor's degree from the NIT-Trichy (India) in 2003, and master's and Ph.D. degrees from the UW-Madison in 2005 and 2007 respectively, all in mechanical engineering. His research program focuses on the mixing of materials at extreme conditions, the physics of hydrodynamic instabilities, and advanced power conversion cycles. His research efforts can potentially lead to advances in a number of fields including, energy, environment and most pertinently, inertial confinement fusion devices. He is a recipient of National Science Foundation CAREER Award, US AFOSR Young Investigator Award and the DOE-Early Career Award. Dr. Ranjan was named J. Erskine Love Jr. Faculty Fellow in 2015.
- Department of Energy-Early Career Award, 2016
- J. Erskine Love Jr. Faculty Fellow, 2015
- US Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR) Young Investigator Award, 2013
- National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER Award, 2013
Texas A&M University
- Texas A&M University Nominee for 2014 Blavatnik Awards for Young Scientists
- Morris E. Foster Faculty Fellow in Mechanical Engineering (Awarded by College of Engineering), 2013
- 2013 Texas A&M ASME Professor Mentorship Award
- Outstanding Advisor Award- Sigma Delta Chapter of Pi Tau Sigma, 2014
- Caterpillar Teaching Excellence Award 2012-2013 (Awarded by College of Engineering)
- Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station Select Young Faculty Award, 2012-2013 (Outstanding Researcher Award)
- Departmental Nominee for the 2012-2013 University Level Montague Center for Teaching Excellence Scholar
- Morris E. Foster Faculty Fellowship, Department of Mechanical Engineering, TAMU, 2010
- Texas A&M University Student Led Award for Teaching Excellence (SLATE), 2009
- Director's Research Fellow, Los Alamos National Laboratory, 2008
- Article selected as cover page in Journal of Fluid Mechanics-Vol. 594, 2008
- Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship for Postdoctoral Research, August 2007 (International Fellowship)
- Best Student Contribution, 16th ANS- Topical Meeting on the Technology of Fusion Energy, September 2004.
- Best Poster Award, International Conference on Advances in Fluid Mechanics, Bangalore, India, July 2003.
- Rajiv Gandhi Research Scholar for year 2002 (Awarded by JNCASR and Dept. of Science and Technology).
Mohaghar, M., Carter, J., Musci, B., Reilly, D., Mcfarland, J., and Ranjan, D., “Evaluation of turbulent mixing transition in a shock-driven variable-density flow”, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 831, pp. 779-825 (2017)
Akula, B., Suchandra, P., Mikhaeil, M., and Ranjan, D., “Dynamics of unstably stratified free shear flows: an experimental investigation of coupled Kelvin–Helmholtz and Rayleigh–Taylor instability”, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 816, pp. 619-660 (2017)
Fries, D., Ochs, B., Ranjan, D., and Menon, S., “Hot-wire and PIV characterisation of a novel small-scale turbulent channel flow facility developed to study premixed expanding flames”, Journal of Turbulence, Vol. 18, Issue 11, pp. 1081-1103 (2017)
Annamalai, K., Siva Sankar, T., and Ranjan, D., “Ranking Renewable and Fossil Fuels on Global Warming Potential Using Respiratory Quotient (RQ) concept”, Journal of Combustion, in press.
Akula, B., and Ranjan, D., “Dynamics of buoyancy driven flows at moderately high Atwood numbers”, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 795, pp. 313-355 (2016)
Jarrahbashi, D., Pidaparti, S. R., and Ranjan, D., “Nucleation of Super-critical carbon-dioxide in a venturi nozzle”, Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol. 310, pp. 69-82 (2016)
Sekhran, A., Morrison, G., and Ranjan, D., “An enquiry of the friction factor ‘jump’ phenomenon in hole-pattern seals,” Journal of Fluids Engineering, vol. 138, Issue 8, pp. 081102 (2016)
Reilly, D., McFarland, J. A., Mohaghar, M., and Ranjan, D., “The effect of initial conditions and circulation deposition on the inclined-interface reshocked Richtmyer-Meshkov instability,” Experiments in Fluids, 56 (8), 1-16, (2015)
McFarland, J. A., Reilly, D., Black, W., Greenough, J. A., and Ranjan, D., “Modal interactions between a large-wavelength inclined interface and small wave-length multimode perturbations in a Richtmyer-Meshkov Instability,” Physical Review E, Vol. 92, 013023 (2015)
Pidaparti, S. R, McFarland, J. A., Mikhaeil, M. M., Anderson, M.H., and Ranjan, D., “Investigation of buoyancy effects on heat transfer characteristics of Supercritical Carbon Dioxide in Heating Mode,” ASME Journal of Nuclear Engineering Radiation Science, 1(3): 031001-031001-10. (2015) doi:10.1115/1.4029592
Pidaparti, S. R, Moisseytsev, A., Sienicki, J. J., and Ranjan, D., “Counter flow induced draft cooling tower option for Supercritical Carbon Dioxide Brayton Cycle,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, Volume 295, Pages 549–558, (2015)
Martin, M. A., Chen, C., Mukherjee, P. P., Pannala, S., Dietiker, J-F., Turner, J. A., and Ranjan, D., “Morphological Influence in Lithium-Ion Battery 3-D Electrode Architectures,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 2015, volume 162, issue 6, A991-A1002
Thanapal, S., Annamalai, K., Ansley., J. and Ranjan, D., “Cofiring Carbon Dioxide torrefied woody biomass with coal on emission characteristics,” Biomass Conversion and Biorefinery, March 2016, Volume 6, Issue 1, pp 91-104
Tang, Y., Guo, B., and Ranjan, D., “Numerical simulation of aerosol deposition from turbulent flows using three-dimensional RANS and LES turbulence models,” Engineering Applications of Computational Fluid Mechanics, Online First-Feb 25th, 2015 http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19942060.2015.1004818
McFarland, J. A., Reilly, D., Creel, S., McDonald, C., Finn, T., and Ranjan, D., “Experimental Investigation of Inclined Interface Richtmyer-Meshkov Instability Before and After Reshock,” Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 55, Issue 1, pp 1640 (2014)
Siwatch, V., Lawrence, B., Kuchibhatla, S., Annamalai, K., and Ranjan, D., “Excess air, Schmidt number and NOx formation in laminar jet flames,” Combustion Science and Technology, 2014 (in press)
Akula, B., Andrews, M. J., and Ranjan, D., “Effect of shear on Rayleigh-Taylor mixing at low Atwood number”, Physical Review E, Vol. 87, 033013 (2013)
Eseltine, D., Thanapal, S., Annamalai, K., and Ranjan, D., “Torrefaction of Woody Biomass (Juniper and Mesquite) using inert and non-inert gases,” Fuel, Vol. 113, pp 379-388,2013.
Haehn, N, Ranjan, D., Weber, C., Oakley, J., Rothamer, D., and Bonazza, R., “Reacting Shock Bubble Interaction,” Combustion and Flame, Vol. 153, Issue 3, pp1339-1350 (2012).
Ranjan, D., Oakley, J., and Bonazza, R., “Shock-Bubble Interactions,” Annual Rev. Fluid Mech., 43, pp117-140 (2011)
McFarland, J. A., Greenough, J. A., and Ranjan, D., “Computational parametric study of a Richtmyer-Meshkov instability for an inclined interface,” Physical Review E, Vol. 84, 026303 (2011)
Kurizenga, A., Anderson, M., Fatima, R., Corradini, M., Towne, A., and Ranjan, D., “Heat Transfer of supercritical carbon-dioxide in printed circuit heat exchanger geometries,” Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Application, Vol.3, September 2011.
Ranjan, D., Niederhaus, J., Oakley, J., Anderson, M., Bonazza, R., and Greenough, J., “Shock-bubble interactions: features of divergent refraction geometry observed in experiments and simulations,” Physics of Fluids, 20, 036101 (2008).
Ranjan, D., Niederhaus, J., Motl, B., Anderson, M., Oakley, J., and Bonazza, R., “Experimental investigation of primary and secondary features in high Mach number shock-bubble interaction,” Physical Review Letters, 98, 024502 (2007).
Ranjan, D., Anderson, M., Oakley, J., and Bonazza, R., “Experimental Investigation of a Strongly Shocked Gas bubble,” Physical Review Letters, 94, 184507 (2005).