- Ph.D., Purdue University, 1997
- B.S./M.S. (Math), Moscow State University, Russia, 1994
- B.S./M.S.M.E., Bauman MSTU, Moscow, Russia, 1993
Dr. Fedorov's background is in thermal/fluid sciences, chemical reaction engineering as well as in applied mathematics. His laboratory works at the intersection between engineering and basic sciences with an emphasis on new technology and instrumentation development. Current research focuses on renewable fuels and high temperature energy-to-fuel conversion; thermal management of high power dissipation devices and electronics cooling; direct-write nanomanufacturing using focused electron beam; and development of novel bioanalytical instrumentation, chemical sensors, and biomanufacturing.
- Heat Transfer, Combustion, and Energy Systems, Manufacturing, and Bioengineering; Portable and distributed power generation; CO2 capture and utilization; Biochemical imaging and biomanufacturing; and Atomic Scale Fabrication.
Press Coverage of Fedorov’s Group Research
- New Instrument Will Uncover Structure and Chemical Composition on Sub-Cell Scale
- E-Beam Atomic-scale 3-D ‘Sculpting’ Could Enable New Quantum Nanodevices
- Tiny Supersonic Jet Injector Accelerates Nanoscale Additive Manufacturing
- Microfluidic Molecular Exchanger Helps Control Therapeutic Cell Manufacturing
- Tiny "Tornado" Boosts Performance of Electrospray Ionization Mass Spectrometry
- Four-Stroke Engine Cycle Produces Hydrogen from Methane and Captures CO2
- 3D "Nanobridges" Formed Using Electron Beam Writing with Tiny Jets of Liquid Precursor
- Disappearing Carbon Circuits on Graphene Could Have Security, BioMedical Uses
- Smart Hydrogel Coating Creates "Stick-slip" Control of Capillary Action
- New Device Could Shorten Drug Development
- Nano Probe May Open New Window Into Cell Behavior
- Carbon Capture Strategy Could Lead to Emission-Free Cars
- Low-Resistance Connections Facilitate Use of Multi-walled Carbon Nanotubes for Interconnects
- DOE Grant Funds Development of Improved Nanoscale Additive Manufacturing
- DARPA Project Will Improve Heat Dissipation in 3-D Microelectronic Systems
Dr. Fedorov’s research is at the interface of basic sciences and engineering. His research portfolio is diverse, covering the areas of portable/ distributed power generation with synergetic carbon dioxide management, including hydrogen/CO2 separation/capture and energy storage, novel approaches to nanomanufacturing (see Figure), microdevices (MEMS) and instrumentation for biomedical research, and thermal management of high performance electronics. Dr. Fedorov's research includes experimental and theoretical components, as he seeks to develop innovative design solutions for the engineering systems whose optimal operation and enhanced functionality require fundamental understanding of thermal/fluid sciences.
Applications of Dr. Fedorov’s research range from fuel reformation and hydrogen generation for fuel cells to cooling of computer chips, from lab-on-a-chip microarrays for high throughput biomedical analysis to mechanosensing and biochemical imaging of biological membranes on nanoscale.
The graduate and undergraduate students working with Dr. Fedorov's lab have a unique opportunity to develop skills in a number of disciplines in addition to traditional thermal/fluid sciences because of the highly interdisciplinary nature of their thesis research. Most students take courses and perform experimental and theoretical research in chemical engineering and applied physics. Acquired knowledge and skills are essential to starting and developing a successful career in academia as well as in many industries ranging from automotive, petrochemical and manufacturing to electronics to bioanalytical instrumentation and MEMS.
- World Top 2% Scientist, Stanford World Ranking of Scientists in All Fields (2019)
- ITherm’18 Best Paper Award in Thermal Management, IEEE Intersociety Conference on Thermal and Thermomechanical Phenomena in Electronic Systems (2018).”
- Named Rae S. and Frank H. Neely Chair, 2019
- Nanoscale and Microscale Thermophysical Engineering Editorial Board, 2018 - Present
- Raymond Viskanta Fellowship and Lectureship, Purdue University, 2017
- Grand Challenge Ambassador/Featured Guest at the “Carbon Use Grand Challenge” Summit, Climate Change and Emission Management Corporation (CCEMC), Alberta, Canada (2014)
- Japanese Society of Mechanical Engineering (JSME) Mechanical Engineering Reviews, Transactions of the JSME (in Japanese), Mechanical Engineering Journal, and Mechanical Engineering Letters, International Advisory Board (2013-2015)
- International Journal of Interfacial Phenomena and Heat Transfer Editorial Board, 2012-Present
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), Invention & Contribution Board Award for development of catalytic reactor technologies, cited “among technical contributions to NASA, which have significant value in the conduct of aeronautical and space activities, ” 2010
- ASME-Pi Tau Sigma Gustus L. Larson Memorial Award, 2010
- Semiconductor Research Corporation (SRC) Inventor Recognition Award, 2009
- Tokyo Institute of Technology’s (Japan) Global Center of Excellence in Energy Science International Advisory Board, 2008-Present
- ASME/IEEE ITherm08 Outstanding Paper Award in Thermal Management, 2008
- Georgia Tech Class of 1934 Outstanding Interdisciplinary Activities Award, 2008
- Woodruff School Faculty Fellow, 2008-2012
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (Heat Transfer Division) Bergles-Rohsenow Young Investigator Award for sustained contributions to heat, mass, and radiation transfer, 2007
- Journal of Nanoelectronics and Optoelectronics Editorial Board, 2007
- Microelectronics Advanced Research Corporation Inventor Recognition Award, 2006 and 2007
- National Academy of Engineering Frontiers of Engineering Symposium Invited Participant, 2006
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers Branimir F. von Turkovich Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award, 2006
- International Journal of Multiscale Computational Engineering Editorial Advisory Board, 2004-present
- Sigma Xi (Georgia Tech Chapter) Young Faculty Award, 2004
- International Journal of Multiscale Computational Engineering Special Issue Guest Editor, 2004
Evaporation cooling devices and systems and methods of removing heat from hot spots, U.S. Patent 10,337,802, July 2, 2019
Thermo-electro-chemical converters and methods of use thereof, U.S. Patent 10,249,884 with S. Yee, S. W. Lee, and A. Limia, April 2, 2019
Self-pumping structures and methods of use self-pumping structures", U.S. Patent 9,970,422 with J. M. Meacham and F. L. Degertekin, May 15, 2018
Intracellular delivery and transfection methods and devices, U.S. Patent 9,725,709, with J. M. Meacham, K. Durvasula, F. L. Degertekin, and A. Mehta, August 8, 2017
Hydrogen-generating reactors and methods, U.S. Patent 9,403,143, with D. L. Damm, August 2, 2016
SMS probe and SEM imaging system and methods of use, U.S. Patent 9,245,722 with P.A. Kotte, January 26, 2016
Passive heat sink for dynamic thermal management of hot spots, U.S. Patent 8,953,314, February 10, 2015
Devices Including Composite Thermal Capacitors, U.S. Patent 8,878,340, with C. Green and Y. Joshi, November 4, 2014
Evaporation-enhanced thermal management devices, systems, and methods of heat management, U.S. Patent 8,739,856, June 3, 2014
- Devices Including Composite Thermal Capacitors, U.S. Patent 8,710,625, with C. Green and Y. Joshi, April 29, 2014
- Droplet impingement chemical reactors and methods of processing fuel, U.S. Patent 8,603,205, with M. Varady and F. L. Degertekin, December 10, 2013
- Electron Beam Induced Deposition of Interface to Carbon Nanotube, with Konrad Rykaczewski, U.S. Patent 8,531,029, September 10, 2013
- Devices Including Composite Thermal Capacitors, U.S. Patent 8,378,453, with C. Green and Y. Joshi, February 19, 2013
- Foldable Hydrogen Storage Media and Methods, U.S. Patent 8,372,947, February 12, 2013
- Electrosonic Cell Manipulation Device, U.S. Patent 8,334,133, with F. L. Degertekin, December 18, 2012
- Electron Beam Induced Deposition of Interface to Carbon Nanotube, with Konrad Rykaczewski, U.S. Patent 8,207,058, June 26, 2012.
- Fluid-to-fluid Spot-to-spreader Heat Management Devices and Systems and Methods of Managing Heat, U.S. Patent 8,082,978, December 27, 2011.
- Hydrogen-Generating Reactors and Methods with David L. Damm, U. S. Patent 7,981,171, July 19, 2011.
- Droplet Impingement Chemical Reactors and Methods of Processing Fuel, with Levent Degertekin and Mark Varady, U. S. Patent 7,909,897, March 22, 2011
- Reverse-Taylor-Cone Ionization Systems and Methods of Use Thereof, with F. L. Degertekin, U.S. Patent 7,880,148, February 1, 2011.
- Integrated Fuel Processor and Flow Delivery Infrastructure, U. S. Patent 7,714,274, with F. L. Degertekin, May 11, 2010
- Electrosonic Cell Manipulation Device and Method of Use Thereof, U.S. Patent 7,704,743, with F. L. Degertekin, April 27, 2010
- Scanning Ion Probe Systems and Method of Use Thereof, U.S. Patent 7,442,927, April 27, 2010
- Vortex Tube Refrigeration Systems and Methods, U.S. Patent 7,669,428, March 2, 2010
- Confining/Focusing Vortex Flow Transmission Structure, Mass Spectrometry Systems, and Methods of Transmitting Particles, Droplets, and Ions, U.S. Patent 7,595,487, September 29, 2009
- Electrospray Systems and Methods, U.S. Patent 7,557,342, with Levent Degertekin, July 7, 2009
- Nano-Patch Thermal Management Devices, Methods, and Systems, U. S. Patent 7,545,644, June 9, 2009
- Thermal Management Devices, Systems, and Methods, U .S. Patent 7,532,467, with S. Launay and Y. K. Joshi, May 12, 2009
- Scanning Ion Probe Systems and Method of Use Thereof, U.S. Patent 7,442,927, October 28, 2008.
- Reverse-Taylor-Cone Ionization Systems and Methods of Use Thereof, U.S. Patent 7,411,182, August 12, 2008
- Integrated Micro Fuel Processor and Flow Delivery Infrastructure, U.S. Patent 7,312,440, with F. L. Degertekin, December 25, 2007
- Electrospray Systems and Methods, U.S. Patent 7,208,727, with F. L. Degertekin, April 24, 2007
- Kim, S. and Fedorov, A.G., FEBIP for functional nanolithography of 2D materials, IOP Handbook on Nanolithography, J. M. De Teresa (Editor), Institute of Physics, UK, 2020 (invited).
- Henry, M., Kim, S., and Fedorov A. G., Non-equilibrium adatom thermal state enables rapid additive nanomanufacturing, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 21, 10449 - 10456 (2019).
- Chapman, J. D., Kottke, P. A., and Fedorov, A. G, Enhanced thin film evaporation via impinging electrospray liquid jets with entrained air streaming, Int. J. Heat Mass Transf., 131, 85-95 (2019).
- Chilmonczyk, M. A., Kottke, P. A., Stevens, H. Y., Guldberg, R. E., and Fedorov A. G, Dynamic mass spectrometry probe (DMSP) for ESI-MS monitoring of bioreactors for therapeutic cell manufacturing, Biotechnology & Bioengineering, 116(1), 121-131 (2019).
- Johnson, G. E., Prabhakaran, V., Browning, N. D., Mehdi, B. L., Laskin, J., Kottke, P.A., and Fedorov, A. G., DRILL interface makes ion soft landing broadly accessible to energy science and applications, Batteries & Supercaps, 1 (3), 97-101 (2018).
- Meacham, J. M., Durvasula, K., Degertekin, F. L., and Fedorov, A., Enhanced intracellular delivery via coordinated acoustically-driven shear mechanoporation and electrophoretic insertion, Scientific Reports, 8, 3727-3736 (2018).
- Kottke, P.A., Lee, J. Y., Jonke, A. P., Seneviratne, C. A., Hecht, E. S., Muddiman, D. C., Torres, M. P., and Fedorov, A., DRILL: An ESI-MS interface for improved sensitivity via inertial droplet sorting and electrohydrodynamic focusing in a swirling flow, Anal. Chem., 89 (17), 8981-8987 (2017) Featured on the Journal Front Cover of September 2017 Issue.
- Anderson, D. A., Yun, T. M., Kottke, P. A., and Fedorov, A. G., Comprehensive analysis of sorption enhanced steam methane reforming in a variable volume membrane reactor, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 56 (7), 1758-1771 (2017). Featured on the Front Cover of February 2017 Issue.
- Nasr, M. N., Green, E. C., Kottke, P. A., Zhang, H., Sarvey, T. E., Joshi, Y., Bakir, M. and Fedorov, A., Hotspot thermal management with flow boiling of refrigerant in ultrasmall microgaps, ASME J. Electronic Packaging, 139, 011006-011014 (2017).
- Henry, M., Kim, S. and Fedorov, A., High purity tungsten nanostructures via focused electron beam induced deposition with carrier-gas assisted supersonic jet delivery of organometallic precursors, J. Phys. Chem. C, 120 (19), 10584–10590 (2016).