- PhD, ME, Ga Tech, 2004
- MS, ME, Ga Tech, 2001
- BA, Philosophy, Politics, and Economics, Oxford University (UK), 1998
- BS, ME, WVU, 1996
Dr. Carolyn Conner Seepersad (she/her/hers) is a Woodruff Professor in the George W. Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology, where she leads the Digital Design and Manufacturing research group. Seepersad joined Georgia Tech after 18 years as a faculty member in the Walker Department of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Texas at Austin, where she founded the Center for Additive Manufacturing and Design Innovation.
Professor Seepersad’s research interests include design for additive manufacturing, simulation-based design of materials and structures, and process innovation in additive manufacturing. She is the Editor-in-Chief of the ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, a member of the organizing committee of the annual Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium, an elected member of the advisory board for the Design Society, and a member of SME's Additive Manufacturing Technical Leadership Committee. Professor Seepersad has earned many awards for her research and teaching, including the ASME Design Automation Award and the University of Texas Regents’ Award for Outstanding Teaching (the highest teaching award for faculty in The University of Texas System).
Distinctions & Awards
- Editor-in-Chief, ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, 2023 -
- ASME Design Automation Award, 2022
- University of Texas System Academy of Distinguished Teachers, 2020
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), 2019
- Academy of Distinguished Alumni, 2019, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department, West Virginia University
- Best Paper Awards, ASME IDETC Design Automation, Design Theory and Methodology, and Design Education Conferences
- District Secretary, Rhodes Scholarships
- NAE Frontiers of Engineering Conference, Invited Participant, Speaker, and Organizer
- Hertz Fellow
- NSF Graduate Research Fellow
- Rhodes Scholar
- Rodriguez, N., H. Song, M. Chen, J.S. Oakdale, E.B. Duoss, C.C. Seepersad, R.H. Crawford, 2022, “Use of Wire Grid Polarizers with Liquid Crystal Display for Large-Volume Stereolithography,” Additive Manufacturing, vol. 52, pp. 1-16.
- Sharpe, C., C.C. Seepersad, 2021, “Lattice Structure Optimization with Orientation-Dependent Material Properties,” Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 143, pp. 091708 (10 pages).
- Uitz, O., P. Koirala, M. Tehrani, C.C. Seepersad, 2021, “Fast, Low-Energy Additive Manufacturing of Isotropic Parts via Reactive Extrusion,” Additive Manufacturing, Vol. 41, pp. 1-12.
- Dressler, A.D., E.W. Jost, J.C. Miers, D.G. Moore, C.C. Seepersad, B.L. Boyce, 2019, “Heterogeneities Dominate Mechanical Performance of Additively Manufactured Metal Lattice Struts,” Additive Manufacturing, Vol. 28, pp. 692-703.
- Morris, C., L. Bekker, C. Spadaccini, M. Haberman, C.C. Seepersad, 2019, “Tunable Mechanical Metamaterial with Constrained Negative Stiffness for Improved Quasi-static and Dynamic Energy Dissipation,” Advanced Engineering Materials, Vol. 21, No. 7, p. 1900163.
- Debeau, D., C.C. Seepersad, M.R. Haberman, 2018, “Impact Behavior of Negative Stiffness Honeycombs,” Journal of Materials Research, Vol. 33, No. 3, pp. 290-299.
- Telenko, C., J.M. O’Rourke, M.E. Webber, and C.C. Seepersad, 2015, “A Compilation of Design for Environment Guidelines,” Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 138, No. 2, p. 031102 (11 pages).
- Johnson, D.G., N. Genco, M.N. Saunders, P. Williams, C.C. Seepersad, K. Holta-Otto, 2014, “An Experimental Investigation of the Effectiveness of Empathic Experience Design for Innovative Concept Generation,” Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 136, No. 5, p. 051009 (12 pages).