||Graduate standing in engineering or a related discipline.
||Engineering analysis of the cellular systems, Crosslisted with BMED and CHE 6782.
||Bruce Alberts, Julian Lewis, Alexander Johnson, and M. Raff, Molecular Biology of the Cell (w/CD), 4th Edition, Taylor & Francis, 2002.
||Andrés García, Cheng Zhu and guest lecturers
- Cellular structures and organizations
- Membrane, the nucleus, organelles, cytoskeleton, and ECM
- Cellular functions and their control
- Proteins and enzymes
- DNA, RNA, and recombinant DNA Technology
- The cell as an engineering system
- Mathematical modeling of calcium transient
- Mechanical properties of cells
- Cell adhesion
- Adhesion molecules
- Intercellular and interfacial forces
- Mechanical and thermodynamic models
- Kinetic and transport models
- Cell locomotion
- Molecular motors
- Forces generated by a cell and a motor molecule
- Models of cell locomotion
- Other receptor-mediated processes
- Binding, trafficking and signaling
Term paper and presentation