- Ph.D., University of Pittsburgh, 2003
- M.S., Chinese Academy of Sciences, China, 1998
- B.S., Tsinghua University, China, 1996
Dr. Wang began at Georgia Tech in Fall 2009 as an assistant professor.
- CAE & Design, Manufacturing, and Mechanics and Material; Multiscale CAD/CAM/CAE, Materials Design, Modeling & Simulation, Uncertainty Quantification
Dr. Wang's research is in the areas of design, manufacturing, and Integrated computational materials engineering. He is interested in computer-aided design, geometric modeling and processing, computer-aided manufacturing, multiscale simulation, and uncertainty quantification.
Currently, Dr. Wang studies integrated product-materials design and manufacturing process design, where process-structure-property relationships are established with physics-based data-driven approaches for design optimization. The Multiscale Systems Engineering research group led by him develops new methodologies and computational schemes to solve the technical challenges of high dimensionality, high complexity, and uncertainty associated with product, process, and systems design at multiple length and time scales.
Computational design tools for multiscale systems with sizes ranging from nanometers to kilometers will be indispensable for engineers' daily work in the near future. The research mission of the Multiscale Systems Engineering group is to create new modeling and simulation mechanisms and tools with underlying scientific rigor that are suitable for multiscale systems engineering for better and faster product innovation. Our education mission is to train engineers of the future to gain necessary knowledge as well as analytical, computational, communication, and self-learning skills for future work in a collaborative environment as knowledge creators and integrators.
George W. Woodruff Faculty Fellow, 2017-2022
National Aeronautics & Space Administration (NASA) Glenn Research Center Faculty Fellow, 2017
The 12th American Society of Mechanical Engineer (ASME) International Multibody Systems, Nonlinear Dynamics, and Control (MSNDC) Conference Best Paper Award, 2016
The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS) 3nd World Congress on Integrated Computational Materials Engineering (ICME) Best Poster Award, 2015
The 31st ASME Computers and Information in Engineering (CIE) Conference Best Paper Award, 2011
International CAD Conference Best Paper Award, 2009
National Science Foundation Faculty Early Career Development Award, 2007
Industrial Engineering Research Conference Best Paper Award in Manufacturing & Design, 2007
U.S. National Research Council on Design Informatics & Environments Virtual Congress Member, 2006
Computational Materials Design
- Wang Y. (2007) Periodic surface modeling for computer aided nano design. Computer-Aided Design, 39(3): 179-189
- Wang Y. and Rosen D.W. (2010) Multiscale heterogeneous modeling with surfacelets. Computer-Aided Design & Applications, 7(5): 759-776.
- Huang W., Wang Y., and Rosen D.W. (2014) Inverse surfacelet transform for image reconstruction with constrained-conjugate gradient methods. Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, 14(2): 021005
- Huang W., Didari S, Wang Y., and Harris T.A.L. (2015) Generalized periodic surface model and its application in designing fibrous porous media. Engineering Computations, 32(1): 7-36.
- Tran A.V., He L., and Wang Y. (2018) An efficient first-principles saddle point searching method based on distributed kriging metamodels. ASCE-ASME Journal of Risk and Uncertainty in Engineering Systems, Part B, 4(1): 011006.
Manufacturing Process Modeling and Monitoring
- Wang Y. (2008) Semantic tolerance modeling with generalized intervals. Journal of Mechanical Design, 130(8): 081701(1-7)
- Wu H., Wang Y., and Yu Z. (2016) In-situ monitoring of FDM machine condition via acoustic emission. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 84(5): 1483-1495.
- Wang Y. (2016) Controlled kinetic Monte Carlo simulation for computer-aided nanomanufacturing. Journal of Micro and Nano-Manufacturing, 4(1): 011001.
- Lu Y. and Wang Y. (2018) Monitoring temperature in additive manufacturing with physics-based compressive sensing. Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 48(Part C): 60-70
- Liu J., Hu Y., Wang Y., Wu B., Fan J., and Hu Z. (2018) An integrated multi-sensor fusion-based deep feature learning approach for rotating machinery diagnosis. Measurement Science & Technology, 29(5): 055103.
- Liu D. and Wang Y. (2019) Mesoscale multi-physics simulation of rapid solidification of Ti-6Al-4V alloy. Additive Manufacturing, 25: 551-562.
Uncertainty Quantification and Bayesian Optimization
- Wang Y. (2010) Imprecise probabilities based on generalised intervals for system reliability assessment. International Journal of Reliability & Safety, 4(4): 319-342.
- Wang Y. (2011) Multiscale uncertainty quantification based on a generalized hidden Markov model. Journal of Mechanical Design, 133(3): 031004.
- Wang Y. (2013) Reliable kinetic Monte Carlo simulation based on random set sampling. Soft Computing, 17(8): 1439-1451.
- Hu J., Wang Y., Cheng A., and Zhong Z. (2015) Sensitivity analysis for quantified interval constraints problems. Journal of Mechanical Design, 137(4): 041701
- Wang Y. (2016) Model form calibration in drift-diffusion simulation using fractional derivatives. ASCE-ASME Journal of Risk and Uncertainty in Engineering Systems, Part B, 2(3): 031006.
- Tran A.V. and Wang Y. (2017) Reliable molecular dynamics: Uncertainty quantification using interval analysis in molecular dynamics simulation. Computational Materials Science, 127: 141-160.
- Tran A.V., Sun J., Furlan J.M., Pagalthivarthi K.V., Visintainer R.J., and Wang Y. (2019) pBO-2GP-3B: A batch parallel known/unknown constrained Bayesian optimization with feasibility classification and its applications in computational fluid dynamics. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 347: 827-852
- Tran A.V., Tran M.N., and Wang Y. (2019) Constrained mixed integer Gaussian mixture Bayesian optimization and its applications in designing fractal and auxetic metamaterials. Structural & Multidisciplinary Optimization, (in press)
Design Informatics and Design Space Exploration
- Wang Y. and Nnaji B.O. (2005) Geometry-based semantic ID for persistent and interoperable reference in feature-based parametric modeling. Computer-Aided Design, 37(10): 1081-1093.
- Wang Y., Ajoku P.N., Brustoloni J.C., and Nnaji B.O. (2006) Intellectual property protection in collaborative design through lean information modeling and sharing. Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, 6(2): 149-159.
- Tessier S.M. and Wang Y. (2013) Ontology-based feature mapping and verification between CAD systems. Advanced Engineering Informatics, 27(1): 76-92
- Hu J., Aminzadeh M., and Wang Y. (2014) Searching feasible design space by solving quantified constraint satisfaction problems. Journal of Mechanical Design, 136(3): 031002.
- Wang Y. (2018) Trust quantification for networked cyber-physical systems.IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 5(3): 2055-2070
- Wang Y. (2018) Resilience quantification for probabilistic design of cyber-physical system networks.ASCE-ASME Journal of Risk and Uncertainty in Engineering Systems, Part B, 4(3): 031006.