Mike Tinskey enjoys taking new ideas and creating start-ups within established organizations.
Mike recently led Ford Motor Company’s emerging business activities as Director of Global Emerging Services, Connected Vehicles. His focus was to develop and implement new products, business models, and partnerships to ensure success of Ford’s connectivity plans globally, including the generation of new revenue opportunities. Mike recently led the creation of several new entities including: Ford Insure (digital insurance), Ionity (ultra-fast charging joint venture), and Ford Commercial Services (digital fleet services). He’s also been one of the key leaders in spinning off technology-based component companies like Visteon and Automotive Components Holdings (ACH).
Mike also spearheaded the go-to-market strategy and execution for Ford electrified vehicles globally. Developed and executed foundational global product cycle plan and incubated new businesses and services to support the plug-in products such as Mustang Mach-e, Focus EV, Fusion Energi, and Transit Connect Electric.
Mike is a co-founder of Cobra Motorcycles, as well as a drone start-up Cobra Aero. Mr. Tinskey has served on the Georgia Tech Mechanical Engineering and ECE Advisory boards for well over a decade. He enjoys mentoring start-ups and CreateX teams.
Mike’s research and teaching focus on intrapreneurship, electrification, and energy.
- Strategic Marketing for the Digital Age, Executive Education, Ross School of Business, Ann Arbor, MI 2019
- Mergers & Acquisitions, Executive Education, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 2005
- Masters of Business Administration (MBA), University of Michigan, 2000 Emphasis in Entrepreneurship and Finance.
- Masters of Science Electrical Engineering (MSEE), Georgia Institute of Technology. Control Theory & Digital Image Processing.
- Bachelors of Science Electrical Engineering (BSEE), Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 1990
Select Publications and Media References
- Jolt!: The Impending Dominance of the Electric Car and Why America Must Take Charge. Hardcover, 2010. Authored Chapter 11 – Success Is A Team Sport by Mike Tinskey.
- Preventing Future Shock: Rethinking the Power Grid to Charge the City of Tomorrow. LinkedIn, Aug 16, 2017
- Fueled by Analytics – ComputerWorld (Cover Story), December 2, 2013
- The Making of a Mentor – We Are Engineers – Georgia Tech College of Engineering, Spring 2019
- Mergers & Acquisitions, Short Course Developed and Taught to Ford Employees, 2006
- Ford’s “MyEnergi Lifestyle” Products Aim to Reduce Your Carbon Footprint – Mashable Jan 8, 2013
- How Will Insurance Work In A World of Connected Cars – August 10, 2018
- Ford Gets Serious About Electric Cars – USA Today, February 1, 2016
- How Your Car Can Find You A Parking Spot Without Circling The Block – Fast Company. January 21, 2015
- Ford is Making A Concept Car With Solar Panels For A Roof – HuffPost, December 6, 2017
- Inside Ford’s Big Electric Push With EV Chief Mike Tinskey – MotorBiscuit, November 18, 2015
- Consumer Electronics Show Keynote Technology Innovations, Wall Street Journal, January 7, 2011
- For Electric Car Owners ‘Range Anxiety’ Gives Way to ‘Charging Time Trauma’, New York Times, Oct 5, 2017
- C-MAX Solar Energi Concept Shines at CES, Ford World Magazine Interview, 1Q 2014
- 6 US and 15 Active Global Patents in Technology and Business Innovation
- Cobra Motorcycles – Co-founded this performance motorcycle company and have grown it to a multi-million business with over 300 international championships. Positioned well for growth with all-new models including an all-electric race ready version. (cobramoto.com)
- Cobra Aero – Co-founded this drone engine company in 2016 with first shipments of the all new FP33 engine in 2019 (cobraaero.us)
- FixD – Primary advisor and mentor to this inaugural Georgia Tech start-up. Fixd is experiencing breakthrough success with over 2.5 million customers. (fixdapp.com)
- Red Cedar Engineering – Co-founded this performance aftermarket parts company in college. Sold in 1993.
- Michael Tinskey, LLC – Advisor to start-ups including a solid-state battery and a clean energy start-up.
- Ford Commercial Services – Founded the successful telematics services for the company that provides real-time data for rental cars, police, and small and medium businesses.
- Ionity, GmbH – Co-founded the four automaker joint venture to provide ultra-fast charging across Europe. Board chair.
- Ford Insure – Founded and created an all-new innovative digital insurance product for Ford customers globally.
- Ford Charging Solutions – Incubated charging services for EV’s at Ford globally. Led partnerships with Best Buy, Microsoft, and Leviton that provide charging solutions for EV customers around the world.
- Ford Pay – Incubated the new revenue with Ford payment services for parking, tolls, and services. High growth and competitive market.
- Ford Testing Services – Founded the services business that allows third parties to “rent” assets such as test tracks, wind tunnels, emissions chambers– primarily using 3rd shifts. Revenue offsets capital Intensive Assets.