- Ph.D., Cambridge University, England, 1964
- Ph.D., The University of Michigan, 1962
- M.S. The University of Michigan, 1959
- B.S. The University of Michigan, 1958
Began at Tech in Summer 1969 as an Associate Professor. Prior was an Assistant and an Associate Professor at The University of Michigan.
In the last few years, Dr. Winer's research has expanded to the area of machinery diagnostics. He was principal investigator on a Defense Department Multi-University Research Initiative in Integrated Diagnostics of Machinery involving twenty-one co-principal investigators at three universities. The emphasis of this program is to develop techniques and instrumentation to detect incipient failures in mechanical systems. This information is to be used as prognosis for the necessary repair of machinery before serious failure occurs.
- American Society of Engineering Education
- Fellow, 2004
- Donald E. Marlowe Award, 1996
- Benjamin Garver Lamme Award, 1995
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Honorary Member, 2006
- Life Fellow, 2001
- Mayo D. Hersey Award, 1991 and 1984
- Donald E. Wilcock Award, 1995
- Charles Russ Richards Memorial Award, 1988
- Journal of Tribology Technical Editor, 1980-1987
- Melville Medal, 1975
- Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers
- International Award, 1997
- The University of Michigan
- Mechanical Engineering Advisory Board, 1999-present
- Alumni Society Merit Award from the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics, 1998
- University of California at Berkeley Mechanical Engineering Advisory Board, 2008-present
- University of Maryland Mechanical Engineering Advisory Board, 2002-present
- Carnegie-Mellon University Mechanical Engineering Advisory Board, 1999-2005
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology Mechanical Engineering Advisory Board, 1997-2001
- Engineers of Greater Atlanta Engineer of the Year, 1989
- Elected to the National Academy of Engineering, 1988
- American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellow, 1988
- Metropolitan Atlanta Engineer of the Year in Education, 1988
- Georgia Institute of Technology Distinguished Professor Award, 1987
- Sigma Xi Monie A. Ferst Memorial Award for Sustained Research at Georgia Tech, 1975
- Tribology Gold Medal from the Tribology Trust of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Institution of Production Engineers, the Royal Aeronautical Society, and the Department of Industry and Trade, Great Britain, 1986
- Registered Professional Engineer in Georgia
- P. A. Kottke, S. Bair, and W. O. Winer. 2005. Cavitation in Creeping Shear Flows. AIChE Journal 58(8), 2150-2170.
- W. O. Winer, P. A. Kottke, and S. Bair. 2003. The Measurement of Viscosity of Liquids Under Tension. Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Tribology 125, 260-266.
- S. Bair, J. Jarzynski, and W. O. Winer. 2001. The Temperature, Pressure, and Time Dependence of Viscosity. Tribology International 34(7), 461-468.
- W. O. Winer and S. Bair. 2000. The Pressure-Viscosity Coefficient at Hertz Pressure and Its Relation to Concentrated Contact Traction. In Thinning Films and Tribological Interfaces. Elsevier, 433-443.
- W. O. Winer, S. Bair, and M. Khonsari. 1999. High-Pressure Rheology of Lubricants and Limitations of the Reynolds Equation. Tribology International 31(10), 573-586.