- Ph.D., The Pennsylvania State University, 2005
- M.S., The Pennsylvania State University, 2002
- Diplôme d’Ingénieur, MINES ParisTech, 2000
Research Areas and Descriptors
- Mechanics of Materials and Micro and Nano Engineering: Experimental and analytical characterization of fracture and fatigue of small-scale materials (thin films, nanomaterials), structural reliability of MEMS/NEMS devices, and environmental effects.
Dr. Pierron joined Georgia Tech in summer 2007. Prior, he was a senior engineer at the R&D center of Qualcomm MEMS Technologies, Inc. in San Jose, California.
Dr. Pierron's research group investigates the mechanical properties of small-scale materials with emphasis on the degradation properties (fracture, fatigue, creep). The scientific contribution of this research is to develop a fundamental understanding of the degradation mechanisms at the nanoscale while the engineering motivation is to assess and predict the structural reliability of devices and systems fabricated with emerging technologies. An underlying challenge is to develop experimental techniques that permit to accurately measure these properties. Dr. Pierron's research is currently sponsored by the National Science Foundation.
- Sigma Xi (Georgia Tech Chapter) Best Ph.D. Thesis Advisor Award (for E. Hosseinian), 2017
- Hesburgh Award Teaching Fellow, 2015
- Class of 1940 Course Survey Teaching Effectiveness Award, 2014
- Society for Experimental Mechanics Hetenyi Award, 2014 (for Best Research Paper published in Experimental Mechanics in 2012)
- NSF CAREER Award, 2013
- CETL/BP Junior Faculty Teaching Excellence Award, 2013
- Sigma Xi (Georgia Tech Chapter) Best M.S. Thesis Advisor Award (for B. Pant), 2011
- Lockheed Dean's Excellence in Teaching Award, 2010
- Sigma Xi (Georgia Tech Chapter) Best M.S. Thesis Advisor Award (for M. Budnitzki), 2009
K. Kim, H. Luo, A.K. Singh, T. Zhu, S. Graham and O.N. Pierron, Environmentally-assisted cracking in silicon nitride barrier films on polymer substrate, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, v 8, n 40, 2016, pp. 27169-27178
E. Hosseinian, M. Legros, and O.N. Pierron, Quantifying and observing viscoplasticity at the nanoscale: highly localized deformation mechanisms in ultrathin nanocrystalline gold films. Nanoscale, v 8, n17, 2016, pp. 9234-9244.
F. Sadeghi-Tohidi and O.N. Pierron, Extreme stress gradient effects on the fatigue behavior of Ni notched microbeams. Acta Materialia, v 106, 2016, pp. 388-400.
E. Hosseinian and O.N. Pierron, Quantitative In Situ TEM Tensile Fatigue Testing of Nanocrystalline Metallic Ultrathin Films. Nanoscale, v 5, n 24, 2013, pp. 12532-12541
- E. K. Baumert and O. N. Pierron. 2013. Interfacial Cyclic Fatigue of Atomic-Layer-Deposited Alumina Coatings on Silicon Thin Films. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 5(13), 6216-6224.