- Ph.D., University of Science and Technology of China, 2009
- B.S., University of Science and Technology of China, 2003
Research Areas and Descriptors
- Medical Physics: Advanced conebeam CT reconstruction, artifacts correction, dual-energy imaging, radiomics analysis with emphasis on the guidance and evaluation in cancer treatment.
Tianye Niu is a leader of Advanced Imaging Laboratory for Radiation Therapy and an Associate Professor of Nuclear & Radiological Engineering and Medical Physics Program in the Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering at Georgia Tech. He received his BS and PhD from the University of Science and Technology of China, where he was awarded the “Guo Mo Ruo” Scholarship. Prior to his position at Georgia Tech, he was a Research Scientist I at the same program at Georgia Tech (2009-2013) and Professor at Zhejiang University School of Medicine (2014-2019). Dr. Niu's research focuses on advanced conebeam CT reconstruction and artifacts correction and spectral CT implementation, connected by the current need for clinical onboard and large volume data analysis. His group is involved in advanced imaging applications for patient treatment guidance and outcome evaluation.
The research interests of Dr. Niu focus on conebeam CT scanner design and spectral CT algorithm development, connected by the current need for clinical onboard and high volume data analysis. He has been involved with customized conebeam CT scanner and artifacts correction, iterative reconstruction algorithm, spectral CT imaging and optimization, radiomics analysis in treatment evaluation.
- Recognized by Science Council Symposium in the Annual Meeting of American Association of Physicists in Medicine 2013, 2015, 2019
- “Guo Mo Ruo” Scholarship in the University of Science and Technology of China 2003
- Lei Xu, Pengfei Yang, Wenjie Liang, Weihai Liu, Weigen Wang, Chen Luo, Jing Wang, Zhiyi Peng, Lei Xing, Mi Huang, Shusen Zheng, Tianye Niu, A radiomics approach based on support vector machine using MR images for preoperative lymph node status evaluation in intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma, Theranostics, 2019, 9(18),5374-5385
- Yi Xue, Yangkang Jiang, Chunlin Yang, Qihui Lyu, Jing Wang, Chen Luo, Luhan Zhang, Catherine Desrosiers, Kun Feng, Xiaonan Sun, Xiuhua Hu, Ke Sheng, Tianye Niu, Accurate Multi-material Decomposition in Dual-energy CT: a Phantom Study, IEEE Transactions on Computational Imaging, online, 2019, 10.1109/TCI.2019.2909192
- Yangkang Jiang, Yi Xue, Qihui Lyu, Lei Xu, Chen Luo, Pengfei Yang, Chunlin Yang, Jing Wang, Xi Hu, Xiaoqun Zhang, Ke Sheng, Tianye Niu, Noise Suppression in Image-domain Multi-material Decomposition for Dual-energy CTs, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, online, 2019. 10.1109/TBME.2019.2916907
- Yangkang Jiang, Chunlin Yang, Pengfei Yang, Xi Hu, Chen Luo, Yi Xue, Lei Xu, Xiuhua Hu, Luhan Zhang, Jing Wang, Ke Sheng, Tianye Niu, Scatter correction of cone-beam CT using a deep residual convolution neural network (DRCNN), Physics in Medicine & Biology, 64(14): 145003, 2019.
- Wenjie Liang, Pengfei Yang, Rui Huang, Lei Xu, Jiawei Wang, Weihai Liu, Lele Zhang, Dalong Wan, Qiang Huang, Yao Lu, Yu Kuang and Tianye Niu, A Combined Nomogram Model to Preoperatively Predict Histologic Grade in Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumors, Clinical Cancer Research,25 (2): 584-594, 2019
- Wei Zhao, Dengwang Li, Kai Niu, Wenjian Qin, Hao Peng and Tianye Niu, Robust beam hardening artifacts reduction for computed tomography (CT) using spectrum modeling, IEEE Transactions on Computational Imaging, 5(2): 333-342, 2019
- Tianye Niu, Pengfei Yang, Xiaonan Sun, Tingyu Mao, Lei Xu, Ning Yue, Yu Kuang, Liming Shi, Ke Nie, Variations of quantitative perfusion measurement on dynamic contrast enhanced CT for colorectal cancer: implication of standardized image protocol, Phys. Med. Bio., 63 (16), 165009, 2018
- Chunlin Yang, Pengwei Wu, Shutao Gong, Jing Wang, Qihui Lyu, Xiangyang Tang and Tianye Niu, Shading correction assisted iterative cone-beam CT reconstruction, Phys. Med. Bio., 62: 8495–8520, 2017.
- Yi Xue，Ruoshui Ruan，Xiuhua Hu，Yu Kuang，Jing Wang，Yong Long，Tianye Niu, Statistical image-domain multi-material decomposition for dual-energy CT，Med. Phys., 44(3): 886-901, 2017.
- Pengwei Wu, Xiaonan Sun, Hongjie Hu, Tingyu Mao, Wei Zhao, Ke Sheng, Alice A. Cheung, Tianye Niu, Iterative CT shading correction with no prior information, Phys. Med. Bio, 60(21): 8437-8455, 2015.
- Tianye Niu, Xue Dong, Michael Petrongolo and Lei Zhu, Iterative image-domain decomposition for dual-energy CT, Med. Phys., 41(4): 041901 (1-10), 2014.
- Tianye Niu, Xiaojing Ye, Quentin Fruhauf, Michael Petrongolo and Lei Zhu, Accelerated barrier optimization compressed sensing (ABOCS) for CT reconstruction with improved convergence. Phys. Med. Bio, 59(7):1801-1814, 2014.
- Tianye Niu, and Lei Zhu, Accelerated barrier optimization compressed sensing (ABOCS) reconstruction for cone-beam CT: phantom studies. Med. Phys., 39(7): 4588-4599, 2012.
- Tianye Niu, Ahmad Al-Basheer and Lei Zhu, Quantitative cone-beam CT imaging in radiation therapy using planning CT as a prior: First patient studies. Med. Phys., 39(4): 1991-2001, 2012.
- Tianye Niu, and Lei Zhu, Scatter correction for full-fan volumetric CT using a stationary beam blocker in a single full scan. Med. Phys., 38(11): 6027-6038, 2011.
- Tianye Niu, Mingshan Sun, Josh Star-Lack, Hewei Gao, Qiyong Fan and Lei Zhu, Shading correction for on-board cone-beam CT in radiation therapy using planning MDCT images. Med. Phys., 37(10): 5395-5407, 2010.
- Tianye Niuand Lei Zhu. Overview of x-ray scatter in cone beam computed tomography and its correction methods. Curr Med Imaging Rev, 6(2):82-89, 2010.