Dr. Whiteman directs the Office of Student Services in the Woodruff School and works closely with both the undergraduate and graduate programs in mechanical engineering. In addition to his administrative responsibilities, he enjoys teaching and working in the field of engineering education. Dr. Whiteman offers several engineering courses online through the Coursera.org platform.
Dr. Whiteman joined Georgia Tech after serving as an assistant, associate, and full professor at the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York. He retired from military service in 2003 after 24 years of service as an officer in the Corps of Engineers at the rank of Colonel. His military field assignments culminated in his command of the 577th Engineering Battalion at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri.
Online Engineering Courses available by Dr. Whiteman:
- Statics-Part 1:
- Statics-Part 2:
- Dynamics-Part 1 (2D):
- Dynamics - Part 2 (3D):
- Mechanics of Materials I: Stress & Strain and Axial Loading:
- Mechanics of Material II: Think walled Pressure Vessels and Torsion:
- Mechanics of Materials III: Beam Bending:
- Mechanics of Materials IV: Deflection, Buckling, Combined Loading, and Failure Theories:
- 2015 Continuing Education Faculty Award for UPCEA South Region
- Anderson D. Smith Administrator of the Year Award, 2012-2013
- CETL Undergraduate Educator Award, 2011
- Pi Tau Sigma Honorary Member, 2005
- Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award sponsored by Women in Engineering (WIE), Georgia Tech and Kimberly Clark Corporation, 2004
- Tau Beta Pi Eminent Engineer, 2002
- Sigma Xi Research Honor Society, 1987
- The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, 1979
- Registered Professional Engineer in Georgia and Virginia
- Ferri, A.A., and Whiteman, W.E., "Free response of a system with negative viscous damping and displacement-dependent dry friction damping," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 306(3-5), 9 October 2007, pp. 400-418.
- Whiteman, W.E., "Mechanical Engineering Curricula A Baseline Study for the Future Effects of ABET EC2000," The International Journal of Mechanical Engineering Education, Vol. 31, No. 4, October 2003.
- Whiteman, W.E., and Berman, M.S., "Fatigue Failure Results for Multiaxial versus Uniaxial Stress Screen Vibration Testing," Shock and Vibration, Vol. 9, No. 6, 2002.
- Whiteman, W.E., and Berman, M.S., "Inadequacies in Uniaxial Stress Screen Vibration Testing," Journal of the IEST, Vol. 44, No. 4, Fall 2001.
- Whiteman, W.E., and Nygren, K.P., "Achieving the Right Balance: Properly Integrating Mathematical Software Packages in Engineering Education," Journal of Engineering Education, Vol. 89, No. 3, July 2000.
- Whiteman, W.E., and Ferri, A.A., "Suppression of Bending-Torsion Flutter Through Displacement-Dependent Dry Friction Damping," AIAA Journal, Vol. 37, No. 1, January 1999.