Stem cell engineering, Cell and tissue engineering, Regenerative biomaterials
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Pathology, University of Washington, 2001-2004
- Ph.D., University of Washington, 2001
- B.S.E., Duke University, 1997
- 2010, Young Investigator Award, Society for Biomaterials
- 2009, Interdisciplinary Research and Education Award, Institute for Bioengineering and Bioscience
- 2009, Petit Fellow, Parker H. Petit Institute for Bioengineering and Bioscience
- 2008, UK-US Stem Cell Collaboration Development Award
- 2008, Merck Best Overall Poster, Society for Biological Engineering First International Conference on Stem Cell Engineering
- 2004, New Investigator Award, American Heart Association, Council on Basic Cardiovascular Sciences
- 2002-2004, Cardiovascular Bioengineering Training Grant Fellow 1997, Howard Clark Award, Duke University
Selected Research Publications
- Sargent CY, Berguig GY, Kinney MA, Carpenedo RL, Hiatt LA, Berson RE, McDevitt TC. Hydrodynamic modulation of embryonic stem cell differentiation by rotary orbital suspension culture. Biotechnol Bioeng, 105(3):611-626, 2010.
- Carpenedo RL, Bratt-Leal AM, Marklein RA, Seaman SA, Bowen NJ, McDonald JF, McDevitt TC. Homogeneous and organized differentiation within embryoid bodies induced by microsphere-mediated delivery of small molecules, Biomaterials, 30(13): 2507-2515, 2009.
- Bratt-Leal AM, Carpenedo RL, McDevitt TC. Engineering the embryoid body microenvironment to direct embryonic stem cell differentiation, Biotechnol Prog, 25(1): 43-51, 2009.
- Sargent CY, Berguig GY, McDevitt TC. Cardiomyogenic differentiation of embryoid bodies is promoted by rotary orbital suspension culture, Tissue Eng Part A, 15(2): 331-342, 2009.
- Ngangan AV, McDevitt TC. Acellularization of embryoid bodies via physical disruption methods, Biomaterials, 30(6): 1143-1149, 2009.
- Nair R, Shukla S, McDevitt TC. Acellular matrices derived from differentiating embryonic stem cells. J Biomed Mater Res A, 87A(4): 1075-1085, 2008.
- Carpenedo RL, Sargent CY, McDevitt TC. Rotary suspension culture enhances the efficiency, yield and homogeneity of embryoid body differentiation. Stem Cells, 25(9): 2224-2234, 2007.
- McDevitt TC, Laflamme MA, Murry CE. Proliferation of cardiomyocytes derived from human embryonic stem cells in mediated by the IGF/PI 3-kinase/Akt pathway. J Molec Cell Cardiol, 39(6): 865-873, 2005.
- McDevitt TC, Woodhouse KA, Hauschka SD, Murry CE, Stayton PS. Spatially organized layers of cardiomyocytes on biodegradable polyurethane films for myocardial repair. J Biomed Mater Res, 66A(3): 586-595, 2003.
- McDevitt TC, Angello JC, Whitney ML, Reinecke H, Hauschka SD, Murry CE, Stayton PS. In vitro generation of differentiated cardiac myofibers on micropatterned laminin surfaces. J Biomed Mater Res, 60(3): 472-470, 2002.