- Tsinghua University, B.S. in Materials Science and Engineering, 1999
- Tsinghua University, M.S. in Chemistry, 2002
- Stony Brook University, Ph.D. in Chemistry, 2009
- The experimental methodologies on Rational Design aided by computations and modeling (a Materials Genome approach).
- Development of advanced in situ characterization techniques, including in situ TEM, in situ solid state Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (SS-NMR), and multiple in situ X-ray technologies utilizing synchrotron and bench top X-ray sources (diffraction, absorption and pair distribution function analysis, etc.)
- Electrochemical energy conversion and storage technologies: Li and Na ion batteries, supercapacitors and fuel cells.
- Synthesis and characterization of novel nanostructures and nanomaterials. Design and development of novel micro energy devices.
- Award for Excellence in Doctoral Research, SUNY-Stony Brook, 2009
- Sigma Xi Award for Excellence in Research, 2008
- Chen HL, Hao Q, Zivkovic O, Geoffroy Hautier, Du LS, Grey CP and Ceder G. Sidorenkite, a new intercalation compound as cathode materials for Na-ion batteries. Chemistry of Materials. 25(14), 2777-2786 (2013). Top 10 most read paper of the month.
- Matts I, Chen HL, Ceder G. The solid solution of Mn-Fe carbonophosphates and their electrochemical properties. ECS Electrochemistry Letters. 2(8), A81-A83 (2013)
- Chen HL, Hautier G, Ceder G. Synthesis, computed stability and structure of a new class of inorganic compounds: carbonophosphates. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 134(48), 19619-19627 (2012) Top 10 most read paper of the month.
- Chen HL, Hautier G, Jain A, Kang B, Doe R, Wu LJ, Zhu YM, Tang YZ, Ceder G. A new class of cathode materials for lithium ion batteries identified computationally. Chemistry of Materials. 24(11), 2009-2016, (2012). Top 5 most read paper of the month.
- Danna Q, Hinoma Y, Chen HL, Du LS, Grey CP, Ceder G, Meng YS. Electronic spin transition in nano-size stoichiometric lithium cobalt oxide. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 136(14), 6096-6099, (2012)
- Jain A, Hautier G, Moore C, Kang B, Lee J, Chen HL, Twu N, Ceder G. A Computational investigation of Li9M3(P2O7)3(PO4)2 (M = V, Mo) as cathodes for Li ion batteries. Journal of the Electrochemical Society. 159(5), A622-633, (2012).
- Ma XH, Chen HL and Ceder G. Electrochemical properties of monoclinic NaMnO2, Journal of the Electrochemical Society. 158(12), A1307-A1312, (2011).
- Hautier G, Jain A, Chen HL, Moore C, Ong SP and Ceder G. Novel mixed polyanions lithium-ion battery cathode materials predicted by high-throughput ab initio computations. Journal of Materials Chemistry. 21(43) 17147-17153 (2011)
- Lu ZG, Chen HL, Zhu YX, Grey CP. Citric acid mediated growth of LiFePO4 hollow crystals. Chemistry of Materials 23(11) 2848-2859 (2011)
- Chen HL, Wu L, Zhang L, Zhu Y, and Grey CP. LiCoO2 Concaved cuboctahedrons from symmetry-controlled topological reactions. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 133(2) 262-270 (2011)
- Bhattacharyya B, Key B, Chen HL, Best AS, Hollenkamp AF, Grey CP. In situ NMR observation of the formation of metallic lithium microstructures in lithium batteries. Nature Materials 9 (6), 504-510 (2010)
- Chupas PJ, Chapman KW, Chen HL, Grey CP. Application of high-energy X-rays and Pair-Distribution-Function analysis to nano-scale structural studies in catalysis. Catalyst Today 145 (3-4), 213-219 (2009)
- Chen HL, Grey CP. Molten salt synthesis and high rate performance of the “Desert-Rose” form of LiCoO2, Advanced Materials. Featured inside front cover article, 20 (11) 2206-2210 (2008)
- Bowden W, Bofinger T, Zhang F, IItchev N, Sirotina R, Paik Y , Chen HL, Grey CP, Hackney S. New manganese dioxides for lithium batteries. Journal of Power Sources, 165 (2) 609-615 (2007)
- Liang HY, Qiu XP, Chen HL, He ZQ, Zhu WT, Chen LQ. Analysis of high rate performance of nanoparticled lithium cobalt oxides prepared in molten KNO3 for rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. Electrochemistry Communications 6 (8): 789-794 (2004)
- Chen HL, Qiu XP, Zhu WT, Hagenmuller P. Synthesis and high rate properties of nanoparticled lithium cobalt oxides as the cathode material for lithium-ion battery. Electrochemistry Communications 4 (6), 488-491 (2002)
Approved US Patents
- Grey CP and Chen HL. Lithium battery electrode and method for manufacture of same. USPC Class: 42923195
- Ceder G, Chen HL, Hautier G et al. Carbonophosphate and related compounds. PCT2011/025684